Between my husband and myself, we have visited a good chunk of the 50 states. I wanted to create something that we could track all the places we have been. So when we are looking for places to visit, we can see on a map where we need to go!
I decided to create a giant map and use small pins to mark the places we have visited. I wanted to add a flag to the pin so I knew when we visited and where we visited in that state.
I was having trouble finding the perfect way to construct this map. Then, when I saw this Tim Holtz paper, I knew it would be perfect for the map! It just fits itself so nicely into a giant map for what I had envisioned!
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology Paper Stash Collage Mini 8×8
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology Ephemera Pack Thrift Shop
- Tim Holtz Distress Markers in Candied Apple, Ground Espresso, and Abandoned Coral
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology Metal Word Bands
- Xyron Creative Station with Permanent Adhesive Refill
- Xyron Teresa Collins Mega Runner
- Xyron 1.5″ Sticker Maker
- Pins With Ball Head Tops
- White Canvas (I used a 24″ by 20″ canvas for this project, which I water colored)
- Silhouette Cameo and map of USA image
1. Start by laying out the Tim Holtz paper over the entire canvas. I wanted to make sure that certain colors worked with each other. I took the paper that looked like maps, stamps, post cards, and rulers for my map.
2. Once you have decided on paper lay out, go to your Silhouette Studio and find a map of the USA. Scale the map to the size you want to fit your canvas. Then cut out the map using your Silhouette.
3. Lay out the map onto your canvas. The east coast gave me some trouble because the states are so small, compared to the west coast!
4. Run the larger states through your Xyron Creative Station with the permanent adhesive refill. Adhere them to the canvas.
5. Run the smaller states through your Xyron 1.5″ Sticker Maker.
6. I had to use the Mega Runner for Hawaii. I had the island on my finger and stuck it to the Mega Runner. Then I attached it to the canvas.
7. Find the paper that has the letters. You are going to cut out the letters in “Oh The Places You’ll Go”. Run all the letters through the Xyron Creative Station. Then adhere to the bottom of your map.
8. Once you map is adhered to the canvas, flip your canvas over onto a clean surface and put some books on the canvas to make sure all the edges are really pushed down. You want to make sure it adheres well to the canvas.
9. While that is pressing the map to the canvas, take the paper that has the states names. We are going to cut them out and adhere them to the ball head pins.
10. Cut out some extra paper to the size of the states rectangle. This will be the backing of the states pin. I used red paper for the backing. Run that paper through the Xyron 1.5″ Sticker Maker.
11. Grab one state rectangle, one backing, and one ball head pin and attach the backing to the pin. Then press the state rectangle on top of the pin.
12. Take the books off the canvas and make sure each state is secure to canvas. Then, stick pin into correlating state. Do this for each state.
13. Once each state is labeled, we are going to add embellishments. I added some embellishments around the sides of the canvas using the thrift shop pack and the metal word bands. I attached the paper embellishments by running them through the Xyron Creative Station. For the metal word bands, I used smaller ball head pins to hold them in place.
14. Now comes the fun part… Adding flags for all the places you have been! Start by cutting some paper into a small rectangle. Using the Mega Runner and a ball head pin, tape half of the rectangle over itself and adhere to the pin. Cut a triangle to create a flag shape. Then, using your distress markers, record where and when you visited that location.
Hang, display, and keep updating after every travel experience!!