Disclosure: The Organized Mama has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions and tutorials are mine alone. #MinionsatTarget #CollectiveBias
Who doesn’t love a good movie, right? Well, I just loved Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2, so when I was asked to create a tutorial crafting project to celebrate the release of the new Minions movie, how could I say no?!?! The kids and I ran to Target on Tuesday, December 8, to pick up a copy of the movie. And the best part is that you can order and pick up in store using Target.com!
As we were wandering around the store, we found the adorable display in the electronics department. We thought it would be fun to pick up the DVD/Blu-Ray version because it comes in this cool metal case (and you get a $5 if you pick it up this week)! And the DVD includes an extra 40 minutes of extra content just for Target!
Well, the kids just loved the little minions, so I thought, how fun would it be if they each had a minions pillowcase? I decided to go run around the store to find my supplies. First, we started in the craft aisle, which is where I found some felt sheets in assorted colors. I also got a bunch of other crafting supplies, because that aisle is like my favorite.
I ran to the sewing aisle to find some pearlized ball head straight pins and fabric scissors. If you don’t have a sewing machine, well, Target’s got you covered. I mean, they are your one-stop-shop for everything. They have a great selection of sewing machines for the beginner to the expert.
Next to the sewing aisle is the bedding. I searched and searched for a bright yellow pillow case, but they were no where to be found. But this bright yellow hand towel was staring me in the face, so I decided to turn this hand towel into a fluffy minion pillow case for the kids. They loved playing with the hand towels as we strolled around Target some more. I mean, the new displays are just incredible.
As soon as we got home, I got to work on creating these adorable minions pillow cases. Plus, I’m sharing my secret for creating the perfect circle. I learned how to do this from my first grade teacher. She was rather crafty and I have never forgotten how to make the perfect circle because of this little trick! Keep reading to find out my secret, along with the tutorial to create these fluffy minions pillow cases.
Room Essentials Bright Yellow Hand Towels
Felt Sheets in Assorted Colors
Pearlized Ball Head Straight Pins
1. Grab one or two pieces of white felt. (Depending on how many eyes you want you minion to have!)
2. Cut the white felt into a circle to make the white of the eye(s) of the minion.
Cutting The Perfect Circle:
To make the perfect circle, start by cutting a square. An easy way to do this is to fold your felt into a triangle, then cut one side to create a square.
Then, round off one corner of the square.
Continue to round off the remaining three corners of the square.
Now you have a perfect circle!
3. Once the eye(s) are cut, we are going to take the gray felt to create the goggles.
4. Cut out a perfect circle using your gray felt by following the steps above.
5. Then, fold your gray circle in half. Leaving about 1/2 inch on the top of the circle, start to cut the inside of the gray circle. You will have created an outline of a circle. This will act as the minion’s goggles.
6. Place the outline of the gray circle over the white circle. You have the eyeball and goggle of the minion.
7. Now we have to make a smaller brown circle for the eye. You can play around with sizing for the circle by I found that 1 1/2 to 2 inches is perfect for the brown part of the eyes. Follow the steps to create the perfect circle above.
8. Place the brown circle inside the white circle as centered in the white as you like.
9. Finally, we have to make a tiny black circle that will go on the inside of the brown circle you have made. I made mine 1 inch. Follow the steps to make the perfect circle above.
10. Place the black circle inside the brown circle. Now you have created the eyes and part of the goggles for your minions.
11. Take your hand towel and fold it in half, like a hamburger (for all my teachers out there!). This is going to be the face of your minion. Use this to gauge where you want the eyes of the minion to be on your hand towel.
12. Take your eyes of your minions and place it on the hand towel. Make sure to place the eyes right next to each other, leaving no space between the two eyes.
13. Take some black felt and cut a straight line about 2 inches in width. This will be used for the band of the goggles.
14. Place the black felt underneath the eyes of your minion making sure the black felt goes all the way to the ends of your hand towel.
15. Then you can create a mouth for your minion pillow. I just cut a half circle to create a mouth.
16. If you want to add some hair, or any embellishments, now is the time to do it. I made my minion pillow to have hair by cutting a piece of black felt to look like a rectangle. Then I cut slits on the long side of the rectangle.
17. Unfold your hand towel and pin all the parts of the minion face to the hand towel using the ball head straight pins. We will be pinning the hair onto the hand towel once the eyes and goggles are sewn.